Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Time with Wilddogs

An inquisitive dog investigates my camera from a few centimetres away
 Its been more that two years since I first met up with the Wilddogs of Northern Kenya and whenever I find myself in the area I make an effort to spend as much time with them as possible. Although Africa's second most endangered carnivore's future always seems to balance on a knife's edge the population seems to be doing well. Highlights included witnessing several kills, packs fighting (impossible to photograph) and the first sight of a new litter. So here are a few images from their lives.
The Drama of the action packed hunts proved very difficult to communicate effectively on a photograph yet this one I feel does it some jsutice

Allways out on a hunt, a dropped cap makes for excellent practice.

Portrait

Before setting off on his afternoon hunt, a young male gives me an inquisitive glance. 
The dimunitive Dik dik forms around 70% of the Wilddogs prey, like this one in Samburu.

They kept their dens out of sight amongst the granite boulders of the area and only at around 8 weeks did we manage to see and photograph the pups for the first time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome images...well done!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome job with the pictures! AWDs are my favorite and I'm looking forward to seeing them in the wild in person (hopefully next year)!

Anonymous said...

Wow! You caught him with his jaws on the poor dik-dik: amazing!
Never had the luck to spot them in Samburu, let alone in such wonderful conditions
Stunning shots :)